According to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, five people were on a 1991 22-foot boat Wednesday afternoon heading to a boating event. After launching, investigators say the operator hit the ignition switch and the engine exploded. All five people, two 46-year-old women, a 16-year-old girl and two 13-year-old girls, had to jump in the water to get to safety.
Both 13-year-old girls suffered burns to their legs and had to be taken to Strong Memorial Hospital.
The boat was destroyed; investigators are now looking into what went wrong. Deputies say there was no indication of any problems before the fire.
"It could have been much more serious," said Lt. Dean Tuthill, Monroe County Sheriff's Office. "We're thankful that all the females on board had enough wits to abandon ship and jump into the water."
"Prior to launch, thoroughly check your vessel and make sure that all the safety pieces are in place," Lt. Tuthill further advised. "And if you smell fumes or see some type of problem, don't launch the vessel until you have it checked out."