breathing while swimming near the back of his family's idling boat, authorities said.
It happened shortly before 4 p.m. at Chinook Landing Marine Park on the Columbia River
near Fairview. According to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, the boy was wearing a
life jacket while playing in the water near the boat's exhaust outlet for some time. When
the family went to move the boat, they found the boy had stopped breathing, and they
pulled him from the water, the sheriff's office said.
By the time medical help arrived to the boat dock, the boy had already started breathing
again. He was taken to Providence Portland Medical Center for treatment of carbon monoxide
poisoning in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber.
The sheriff's office said the boy's chances for survival might have been significantly diminished
had he not been wearing a life jacket.