Around 5:30 p.m. Monday, the Alton Fire Department responed to a Bayliner boat on fire at the public launch area of the Alton Marina. Alton Fire Chief Jesse Jemison said he believes the fire was caused by a malfunction of the bilge pump, enough to cause a spark and start the fire.
Because of where the boat was located, firefighers were unable to reach it by foot, according to Jemison. Firefighters let the boat burn itself out, and the craft was a total loss.
One man was seen injured and lying on the ground when firefighters arrived and is believed to be connected to the boat. An Alton Fire Department ambulance transported him to a local hospital. His name and condition have not been released.