According to the Polk County Sheriff's Office, a passing boater saw the flames and brought the boat owner to safety before the Polk County Fire Rescue marine unit put out the fire and towed the boat ashore.
Deputies said the blaze is believed to have been caused by batteries to a trolling motor. They also said the boat was missing the required fire extinguisher.
"Those required items for your boat aren't suggestions, so please pay attention to them. They may save your life one day. At the very least you might get a citation for not having a required item on board - but a citation is preferable to losing your life," the sheriff's office said on Facebook.