You probably don't think about the invisible, lurking danger that is around you when boating. Just like a car, carbon monoxide is emitted into the air from the running engine. Last Week, a news station in Georgia reported that Julie Wright and Andrew Maronge were found dead in their boat by Lake Lanier officials. Officials said they appeared to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning, but added that the assessment wouldn't be definitive until autopsies are complete.,
5 News went out to Cheat Lake Sunday to found out if local residents know about the danger of carbon monoxide.
"I would never think of carbon monoxide being an issue with boating," said Angela Shauff, of Uniontown, Pa.
After talking with a few families, we came across Jim Neville who says that he knows all about the dangers that could potentially exist. He adds it is easy to boat safely, but you just have to follow the proper guidelines.
"Whenever the boat is running, you'll leave the hatch open and the hatch will help take the air and move it through and take whatever Carbon Monoxide is built up from the engine and move it stern or after the boat," said Jim Neville, of Pittsburgh, Pa.