According to a statement from North Kitsap Fire & Rescue, a diesel heater was the likely cause of the fire aboard the 40-foot liveaboard. Responders believe that the heater ignited clothing left nearby. While no injuries to firefighters or civilians were reported, the family’s cat was reported to have been hurt in the blaze. A small dog also appeared to escape the fire without harm.
NKF&R Crews received the call to the marina just before 5 p.m. Friday after a bystander called 911. Crews arrived at the scene in just over five minutes and discovered only light smoke and were informed by the caller that the owner of the boat had managed to squelch the flames using a garden hose before leaving to rush his injured cat to the vet. Fire crews extinguished remaining hot spots and also removed as much smoke as possible from the cabin.
When the owner of the boat returned, he told firefighters that he’d lit the boats diesel heater and left to go ashore and use the marina’s facilities, when he returned he saw smoke and flames coming from the boat. While the fire caused significant damage to the interior of the sailboat, the hull did not appear to be affected.
According to NKF&R, the American Red Cross is assisting the couple who is thought to have been uninsured.