The fire, which was located by the Cordage Channel, was reported around 12:20 p.m.
Bradley said the operator, who was the only person on board, had been pulling and setting lobster pots when he started to smell smoke. The operator discovered a small fire in the engine compartment and attempted to extinguish the flames, but he was unsuccessful. He later discovered the battery compartment was also burning.
The boat then lost electricity, including the use of radios, according to Bradley. The operator used his cell phone to call Plymouth Fire.
Commercial fishermen who were working in the area at the time of the fire rescued the operator before firefighters arrived.
Bradley said the 22′ Sisu lobster boat suffered heavy fire damage. TowBoatUS got the boat back to shore.
The Plymouth Harbormaster assisted firefighters at the scene.