Emergency medical personnel and local firefighters were called to help two people overcome by carbon monoxide while boating near Havre de Grace Sunday around 3:34 p.m.
A man and a woman were taken in separate ambulances to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, according to Steve Allers, deputy chief with the Susquehanna Hose Company.
The couple were "enjoying a day on the water" near the Log Pond Marina, off Concord Street, when they suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, coming from their boat's engine exhaust, Allers said.
Both were being taken to Shock Trauma by the Havre de Grace Ambulance Corps. One of the ambulances caught fire while in the Kingsville area of I-95, with a "small flame" reported under the hood, Havre de Grace Ambulance Corps President Zachary Coyle said.
Allers confirmed the ambulance was taking the carbon monoxide victims.
No one in the ambulance was injured when it caught fire, and the vehicle has been taken to a certified dealer to be evaluated before being returned to service, Coyle said.
The carbon monoxide patient was taken to the hospital by a Baltimore County fire unit, Coyle said.
"We want to thank all the responders," including Maryland State Police and Baltimore County responders, Coyle said. He also thanked his ambulance crews.
"They helped keep a stressful incident very calm," Coyle said.
One of two Newfoundland dogs on the boat was also treated after being taken by Harford County Animal Control, Allers said.
The incident was reported shortly at 3:34 p.m.
Monitored Harford County emergency radio broadcasts said two people on a boat were sick and requested ambulances and carbon monoxide monitoring equipment to report to the Tidewater Marina in the 100 block of Bourbon Street, along the Susquehanna River in downtown Havre de Grace.